That's it, pretty much back to normal it seems. Everything went smoothly last week, nothing disappeared, no error messages and everything seemed to be where it ought to be. Which probably means it'll all go wrong this week..
I did say a couple of weeks ago that I would be reporting more about the inspection of the Mattersons after Allianz had decided to up the rate for LOLER inspection because it wasn't '4 locomotive jacks', rather 'a locomotive lift and two beams'. Well fairly early on Tuesday morning I was back at the Shed, opening up for another inspector.
3rd July 2011
As I was saying at the end of last week’s blog, my next stop was Rowsley to investigate the report of Charlie’s alternator “screaming”. It was quiet enough when I started it up, but it had had time to cool so I took it off anyway and sure enough it was very stiff and probably had a bearing problem. So I hunted out a spare from the VBA, swapped pulleys and got it going again, ready for Matlock duties, though for a day or two Rob was using the HST’s 08.
15th August 2011
We already knew that Andrew would be away on Saturday attending a birthday party. so I was to have one of those extremely rare things, a free weekend day. For once I was to escape rail activity, but to make up for it, we slipped over to Rowsley Friday night in order to reposition a few locos to make them more readily accessible for a long day on Sunday.
31st July 2011
A couple of weeks ago I said that the departure date for Pluto was the 25th and could not be deferred. I was wrong. All it needed was the driver to ring in sick and Heanors have no spare man available because of holidays. Peak Rail’s Rob Sanders and I had been waiting 45 minutes before we learnt this of course, and after a flurry of phone calls, we re-scheduled the move to Friday.
7th August 2010
Saturday: Up until lunchtime on Friday, I was supposed to be on site changing the spring on an 0-6-0 for a client, so Andrew had arranged instead to go see his girlfriend. Then a phone call came through that the job had to be postponed so I was at a loose end.
16th August 2010
I was consoling myself with a few minutes wander around Matalan on Tuesday morning when the mobile rang and I received the news that the torsional coupling for 14 901 would be ready in about 20 minutes. So I changed my plans for the rest of the day, and by two-thirty I was up in Bradford and collecting a very much better-looking coupling ready to go back into the loco.
8th November 2010
Saturday: Plan A had been to head out to Scunthorpe, but during the week I’d had trouble with a leaky ball cock on the loo and Saturday morning it started again, so I cut another washer and when that made no difference, headed down to Wickes to find that of the 6 ball cocks they stocked, none looked remotely interchangeable.
12th December 2010
"George" hiding behind the snowdrifts.
The snow had cleared enough that the move of “George” was back on, and we had notified the Elsecar secretary accordingly. So when I rolled up on Monday morning to find no EHR personnel on site and the loading area still obstructed by snow, I was a little concerned.
6th December 2010
On Monday we went up to Elsecar to recover the lorry sheet that covered the Sentinel “George” only to discover that Elsecar had already removed said sheet “in case it was theirs”. Ho humm. Plan A had been to see the loco on board the lorry heading to pastures new, but the latter was apparently stuck in snow somewhere in Scotland.