Weekend Rails

what we do for our kids

Of casings and coolant

11th December 2011

So, a minute after eight on Monday morning I was back at Scunthorpe and there was the Hiab fitted lorry waiting to collect our bits. The operator was no stranger to preservation work and within ten minutes we were loading the first of the casing parts and within fifty minutes they were on their way to Sheffield, together with some other bits and bobs destined to get through to Rowsley.

img 0468 small
Casing parts are aboard for transport

I drove back and found that the lorry had beaten me to the shot-blasters, and I left him to get unloaded while I sorted out the commercial bit. Once they’re sorted, they’ll head up to our favourite fabricators for replating various bits before heading back to Scunthorpe, hopefully early in January, but before they do, we need to get the cooler group and fuel tank fitted in the loco…

Although dire prognostications of snow abounded during the latter half of the week, we judged the best combination was to head to Scunthorpe Saturday and progress D2128. While I opened up the tent and started cleaning off the old compressor mounting bracket and its rivets with a grinder, Andrew disappeared inside and completed securing the oil cooler on Beverley, and refitted the coolant hoses and clips. I was then summoned in to witness the test-filling of the system. Previously, Beverley had suffered from a progressive contamination of the sump from coolant, and the most likely candidate had been a minor hole in the oil cooler. If, after leaving the cooling system filled for a week or more, there is no discernible rise in sump level, we will breathe a sigh of relief and get the rest of the engine (supercharger, dynamo, etc) back together and fired up again. At this stage all we could see were external drips as various hose clips didn’t quite fulfil their task.

img 0500 small
Last week didn't really give you an impression of the "tent". Here's a full-on view with the flap up and the newly-fitted angle in the foreground

Back out on the 03 we fitted the front angles that carry the nose cone – bolted back in place with copious amounts of silicon sealant to try and bed the parts on to the tread plate. With the decision not to take off the casing side frames, attention turned to resecuring the left hand side to the cab, where the bolts had sheared when Andrew undid them, and I set up the infamous Makita to drill out the remains of the old bolts and open the holes to clear M10. I had the ear defenders on – not because it was particularly noisy but they do keep your ears warm – when I noticed the sound change and sure enough, the Makita had again decided that all it wanted to be in life is a hammer drill. That’s the third time this year, and Northern Power Tools said if it did it again they’d be sending it back to Makita UK to sort it! Fortunately we have a “strategic reserve” drill at Scunthorpe so work was soon resumed and the casing frame re-bolted. On the other side of the cab bulkhead the instrument panel frame was refitted, the lower setscrews have nuts welded in place, the upper ones, above the casing line were ordinary bolts but being much the worse for wear, we’ve replaced with plated button head M8s. Andrew moved on to the fuel tank, still sitting on the wagon behind the loco. When we’d arrived this was dripping in condensation, but the sun had dried it and with the grinder now fitted with a wire brush, he ground the face of the tank that butts up to the cab and gave it a coat of red-oxide primer. At a pinch it could go in like that and the top be treated before the casing top arrives. But the tank sits on angles that connect the two casing sides, and these were cleaned up and put back.

img 0499 small
And the instrument panel frame is back in place

The forecast for Sunday was wet, and sure enough it was. We headed over to Rowsley. Andrew asked me to strip two Yorkshire headlamp bodies with a view to fitting (those on Libby having rotted clean through) but the slotted, countersunk screws refused to budge, nor did they surrender to a drill. I realised that they were some grade of stainless – with enough chrome in to make them hard but not enough to stop them corroding themselves solid to the surrounding steel. In the end, I ground them out, but at some cost to the aluminium ring they were holding. Boiler work was proceeding (loudly) in Rowsley shed s Andrew abandoned any idea of progressing Libby (after applying a little more body-filler and instead tidied up the VBA interior. By 4pm though, we were wet (from trips to the van get this or that) and decided to call it a day.

Now, next weekend Andrew, Steph and Andrew’s girlfriend are leaving me home alone, so I am not sure what kind of a blog entry there will be (if any) and then Christmas looms – so I’ll wish you all a Merry Yuletide now.

This site runs on a system that employs Cookies to establish a link between your web browser and our site. This link is required to deliver to you the page you requested, let you see any photos or videos or to use the contact form. The Cookies that allow this to happen are automatically downloaded to your device (pc, mobile, laptop etc) when you click onto our site. If you set your web browser not to accept Cookies then its probable you will be unable to use Weekend Rails properly. Click to Accept (or the message stays visible). To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site