Weekend Rails

what we do for our kids

Au Revoir Coronation

12th September 2010

Saturday: Rowsley seems to be becoming a second home lately. With me having all my gear in the 407, and Andrew wanting to run the Land Rover to collect some bits for “Coronation”, we ended up taking two vehicles. In the end it was fortuitous that the Land Rover was there, for the Heritage Shunter Trust’s ‘new’ mobile crane was stuck in mud and the Land Rover ended up assisting it on to terra firma.

Meanwhile I was finishing re-plumbing the air valves for the rear horns on 14 901 – having got so used to direct-acting electro-pneumatic valves I was taken aback when they didn’t work first time: it was of course Andrew who pointed out that they were older ones that needed a pilot supply. So a pilot line was fitted and, according to Andrew, who was down at the LMS Carriage Association shed, about a quarter mile and several buildings away, the resulting function was entirely satisfactory. The trouble is that I seem to recall that the basic air horn specification is something of the order of 100dBA at 30m – fine for warning when you’re travelling at 60+mph but a trifle “loud” when ambling along on a preserved line, and at closer range the sound level is substantially higher. I must put a note in the cab about not sounding horns in a platform with passengers anywhere near!

Sunday: First thing Sunday we went up to Elsecar to meet up with the new owners for “Coronation” and hand over two estate cars and a trailer full of spares, from cylinder heads and blocks through to spare cab doors. Plan A had been afterwards to dash up to York and get work done on “James” at the DVLR, but with it being half-two before we stopped off at home, York was too far and we instead took the Land Rover back over to Rowsley to unload a few bits into the VBA.

Monday: At quarter to nine I was back up at Elsecar, following the Heanor Haulage wagon in to the Heritage Centre to load “Coronation”. The plan was to load up in the opposite direction to normal, so that it was the right way round on arrival at its destination, thus “Corrie” was parked up close to the shed doors to give maximum space for the wagon. The loading went smoothly and at 10.25, the loco left Elsecar. I feel very sad about this: quite apart from the circumstances under which Andrew has been compelled to sell it, I have a strong feeling of  ‘letting the loco down’ in that despite all the hours that Andrew and I have spent on it (and there are many bits of the loco which are better than when he bought it – from replacement windows through to a brand new header tank) we did not succeed in having it fully operational.

More in this category: « August drags on

This site runs on a system that employs Cookies to establish a link between your web browser and our site. This link is required to deliver to you the page you requested, let you see any photos or videos or to use the contact form. The Cookies that allow this to happen are automatically downloaded to your device (pc, mobile, laptop etc) when you click onto our site. If you set your web browser not to accept Cookies then its probable you will be unable to use Weekend Rails properly. Click to Accept (or the message stays visible). To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site